Sunday, April 7, 2013

Clinical Trial

Arn's Army wish you Happy Easter 2013

Hello, I know its been a long time. Rocky and I have been on a bit of a whirlwind these past few months, lets catch up... Christmas was an amazing time for the family. We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with our church family and our Portland relatives. Our three boys, my Dad and sister Judi all travelled over the mountains Christmas night to spend the next ten days at Caldera in the snow. We have been leaning on each other more than ever and the family has grown even closer depending on the Lord to take good care of "Mom".

In November Rocky and I visited Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto and City of Hope Hospital in Los Angeles to explore a couple of promising clinical trials for possible treatment options for me. Both of these outstanding hospitals are renowned cancer research facilities.  After this road trip we felt God led us to pursue the City of Hope trial and we began treatment in January. The medication was a oral chemo pill I took every day for about 3 months. It required us to travel to LA every week for 4 weeks doing various tests and making sure I was a good fit for this study. Rocky was able to work pretty well from our hotel the Embassy Suites.   I laughed because the smell in the hotel atrium with its water feature reminded me of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland every time we arrived. But the separate office living space as well as the morning breakfast worked out perfect for us. After one 10 day visit, and once a week after that for 4 weeks I started the treatment.  We had to visit every 2 weeks after that. I tolerated the treatment well, and was anxious to see the results of my scans      in March.

We arrived with high hopes for the best results in mid March. I had 2 days of continuous tests and finally was in the Dr office, very anxious, with Rocky by my side.  We were EXTREMELY disappointed to learn that the trial had done nothing for me, in fact, the cancer had advanced and by the looks of things we were not moving forward, but, loosing ground in our fight...."He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God and I trust Him. For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with His feathers...."Psalm 91. I quote this scripture daily and the words came to my head as the devil worked his way in with anger, doubt, disappointment and fear!!  We walked out of that place with our heads so low they drug on the ground. Packed our bags, flew home for the last time, and were sitting at Providence a week later with our wonderful and trusted Dr Sandborne wondering what was next.

Dr. Sandborne was also very disappointed with my response to the trial. She had high expectations of good results as well. We did a few more scans and realized I needed some radiation treatments first thing. I had those that week and started a chemo treatment that next Monday. This medication is a more mild treatment then the one I took last summer. I will not loose my hair and I am believing for fewer side effects.

I must do my best to anchor myself steadfastly upon the Lord. And then come what may I must hang on to the confidence I have in God's faithfulness, His covenant promises, and His everlasting love in Christ Jesus...I am believing every day for complete healing....I believe God has promised me that....Keep praying...I love you all.. 

Patti

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Patti! Lifting you up to our Lord and healer!

    Psalm 6:2-9 Amplified Version

    2 Have mercy on me and be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am weak (faint and withered away); O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled.

    3 My [inner] self [as well as my body] is also exceedingly disturbed and troubled. But You, O Lord, how long [until You return and speak peace to me]?

    4 Return [to my relief], O Lord, deliver my life; save me for the sake of Your steadfast love and mercy.

    5 For in death there is no remembrance of You; in Sheol (the place of the dead) who will give You thanks?

    6 I am weary with my groaning; all night I soak my pillow with tears, I drench my couch with my weeping.

    7 My eye grows dim because of grief; it grows old because of all my enemies.

    8 Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity, for the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping.

    9 The Lord has heard my supplication; the Lord receives my prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, I was reading through a few of your posts and really admire that you are sharing your personal thoughts and experiences. I did have a quick question about your blog and was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete